MAFS UK Stars Allege Rape by On-Screen Husbands
Three women have come forward with rape and sexual misconduct allegations against their on-screen husbands on Married at First Sight UK, prompting Channel 4 to pull all seasons.

- Two women allege they were raped by their on-screen husbands during filming of Married at First Sight UK, with a third alleging a non-consensual sex act
- The allegations were revealed in a BBC Panorama documentary titled The Dark Side of Married at First Sight, the result of an 18-month investigation
- Channel 4 has pulled all previous seasons from streaming and linear services and commissioned an external welfare review
- UK Security Minister Dan Jarvis says a police referral is “highly likely” — none of the women have yet reported to police
- The future of the already-filmed Season 11 is now uncertain, and the show’s format itself is facing serious scrutiny
Three women who appeared on Married at First Sight UK have alleged that they were raped or subjected to non-consensual sexual acts by their on-screen partners during filming of the Channel 4 reality show — allegations that have triggered a government response, a police referral warning, and the removal of every season of the program from streaming.
The claims came to light Monday, May 18, in a BBC Panorama documentary called The Dark Side of Married at First Sight, the product of an 18-month investigation. Two of the women, who have not been publicly identified, allege they were raped by their on-screen husbands. One of them told Panorama that her husband also threatened her with an acid attack — and that when she reported the threat to the show’s welfare team, it was dismissed as a “passing comment.” She described freezing with fear during the alleged attack and said she was left with visible fingerprint marks on her body. Lawyers for her on-screen husband told the BBC he denies rape.
The second anonymous woman — identified in the documentary as Chloe — said she and her on-screen husband had previously engaged in consensual sex, but alleged he continued during one incident after she asked him to stop. She claimed he later told her, “You’re making me feel like a rapist.” She said she told both Channel 4 and production company CPL about the alleged rape before her episodes aired. They aired anyway. Lawyers for the man told the BBC he disputes details of her account.
The One Woman Who Came Forward by Name
The only one of the three women to agree to be publicly identified is Shona Manderson, who appeared on the show in 2023. She has accused her on-screen husband, Bradley Skelly, of a non-consensual sex act — specifically, that he ejaculated inside her without her consent. According to the documentary, she later became pregnant and made the decision to have an abortion after leaving the show.
“I made the choice to go through with an abortion. It was really hard,” she said.
Manderson said welfare staff accompanied her to obtain the morning-after pill after the alleged incident, and she believes the show’s relationship experts had separately identified concerns about Bradley’s allegedly controlling behavior toward her. She acknowledged she could not be certain the pregnancy resulted from that specific incident. The pair remained together for six weeks after filming before separating.
In a statement, Bradley Skelly categorically denied “any allegations of sexual misconduct” and denied being “controlling,” saying their relationship “was based on mutual consent, care and affection.”
On Instagram, Manderson reflected on what the experience cost her. “The short time that I was on the show, I completely lost my light,” she said. “There were behaviours in my relationship which were not okay, and at the time I excused a lot of behaviour. I couldn’t see things for what it was, and I wasn’t in a position to advocate for myself at the time.”
She acknowledged that some elements of the welfare care she received were “really, really strong” and that certain individuals were “amazing” — but added: “This isn’t about individuals. This is a wider issue, and at the end of the day, I shouldn’t have been in the position that I was in.”
Channel 4 Pulls the Show, Launches Review
Channel 4 moved quickly once the Panorama investigation went public, removing all previous seasons of MAFS UK from its streaming and linear services, as well as wiping the show’s official social media channels. Holiday company Tui also told the BBC it was pausing its sponsorship of the program.
The broadcaster revealed it had actually been presented with the allegations back in April and had quietly commissioned an external review at that point — before the documentary aired. That review has two components: law firm Clyde & Co is examining the welfare protocols in place at the time the claims were raised, as well as how Channel 4 and CPL handled them; former BBC One Controller Lorraine Heggessey is separately leading an assessment of whether current protocols need to be strengthened.
Channel 4 CEO Priya Dogra — who took the role recently and commissioned the review herself — issued a statement expressing sympathy to those affected while defending the broadcaster’s conduct. “I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre,” she said. “Nevertheless, because we aspire to the highest standards of contributor welfare, I felt strongly as Channel 4’s new CEO that it was right that we look again at how we handled issues raised at the time.”
Lawyers for CPL told the BBC the company’s welfare protocols were “gold standard” and that it had acted appropriately in all cases. Channel 4 said the show was produced under “some of the most comprehensive and robust welfare protocols in the industry,” including background checks, a code of conduct, and “daily contributor check-ins with a specialist welfare team.”
None of the three women have reported their allegations to police. The BBC confirmed this, and noted that all three men involved dispute the accusations.
Government Says Police Referral Is “Highly Likely”
The British government’s response was swift and serious. Security Minister Dan Jarvis told BBC Breakfast on Tuesday that he was “extremely concerned” by the allegations and that Channel 4 and CPL have a “hugely important responsibility” to ensure they are fully investigated.
“Given the very serious nature of these allegations, I think it’s highly likely that there will be a referral to the police and it will be a police matter for them to investigate,” Jarvis said. “These are shocking and deeply concerning allegations, and of course they must be very thoroughly investigated.”
Downing Street described the allegations as “extremely concerning” and welcomed Channel 4’s decision to commission the external review. The Prime Minister’s official spokesperson added that “where wrongdoing or criminality is found, there must be consequences or appropriate action to ensure that none of this will ever happen again.”
Media minister Ian Murray met with Channel 4 bosses on Tuesday. A Department for Culture, Media and Sport spokesperson said: “All allegations must be referred to the appropriate authorities and investigated with the full co-operation of those involved, with action taken to ensure that the highest standards are upheld and there are consequences for criminality or wrongdoing.”
Former Channel 4 CEO Alex Mahon — who led the broadcaster from 2017 to 2025, the entire period during which the alleged incidents occurred — was already scheduled to appear before the Culture, Media and Sport Committee on Tuesday to discuss the future of the BBC. She was asked about the MAFS allegations and called the matter “very serious and concerning,” saying it was right that reviews had been launched. “The industry is always trying to evolve and take allegations of incidents fairly seriously, and the duty of care protocols, therefore, do advance all the time,” she said. “But it’s always worth another look.”
Ofcom said it noted Channel 4’s external review and would “review this and all other evidence made available to us,” citing its rules requiring broadcasters to take due care over the welfare of people who might be at risk of significant harm.
Is the Format Itself the Problem?
Dame Caroline Dinenage, chair of the Culture, Media and Sport Committee, didn’t mince words when asked about the show’s premise. “I guess what surprised me most was how unsurprised I was by what it revealed,” she told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. “These are couples that get married without having met each other before, and then immediately have to assume a life as a married couple. They go on honeymoon, they share a bed, and in this kind of bubble of intimacy under the glare of a TV camera. In the cold light of day, it really is quite horrifying, isn’t it?”
Asked whether the format was essentially designed to produce this kind of outcome, she said: “The whole format of the programme is that you’re setting up an artificial bubble in which there’s almost an expectation that people will become intimate with each other. And I think people probably feel — contestants probably feel — almost obliged to do so.”
A source with experience in British reality TV production put it more bluntly: “It’s the format we believe to be the problem. Not the conduct of the welfare team. They just take their orders from the higher-ups. They should be calling out the executive producers, channel heads and commissioners.”
Former contestant Adrian Sanderson, who appeared in Season 7, published a lengthy response on Instagram that acknowledged many welfare staff “genuinely cared and worked incredibly hard” — but drew a hard line about where responsibility lies. “Welfare teams are television professionals, not trauma specialists or criminal investigators,” he wrote. “When serious allegations are raised, the responsibility should not sit solely with contributors. Sometimes, duty of care means stepping in to make the decision.”
He pushed back on Channel 4’s claims that it received repeated assurances that contestants felt safe and wanted to continue filming. “People are isolated, emotionally heightened, and often still processing what is happening,” he wrote. “Pause filming. Remove people from the environment. Investigate properly. Not because anyone has been found guilty. But because safety should come before television.”
Season 8 star Jay Howard, who was paired with Luke Worley on the show, wrote on Instagram: “It takes immense bravery to speak out in the way these women have tonight. No one should ever face that kind of abuse. My heart goes out to you all.” Worley himself posted: “It’s about time this show got investigated.”
What Happens to Season 11 — and the Franchise?
Married at First Sight UK has been one of Channel 4’s most valuable properties for over a decade, regularly drawing more than three million viewers and topping the broadcaster’s streaming charts in 2024. It’s part of a global franchise that now spans more than 35 countries, with the U.S. version airing on Peacock and the Australian version — also popular in Britain — remaining available on Channel 4’s platform for now.
Season 11 has already been filmed, with production beginning in mid-February 2026, and was expected to air this autumn. Whether it ever will is now an open question. The show’s longtime expert Mel Schilling, who appeared on both the UK and Australian versions, died in March at age 54 following a battle with cancer — and the new season had already brought in John Aiken from the Australian franchise to step in for her.
This is not the first time British reality TV has faced this kind of reckoning. Two former Love Island contestants died by suicide in 2018 and 2019, and the show’s presenter Caroline Flack took her own life in 2020. The BBC introduced chaperones on Strictly Come Dancing after bullying and harassment allegations in 2024. MasterChef hosts Gregg Wallace and John Torode were both fired last year following misconduct investigations.
The MAFS allegations are the most serious yet — and with a police referral now looking probable, the question of whether the show returns at all may not be Channel 4’s to answer.
If you have been affected by sexual violence, Rape Crisis offers support and can be reached at 0808 802 9999 in England and Wales. In the US, RAINN can be reached at 800-656-HOPE (4673).
Filed in

Comments
0