Subscribe
Celebrity19 Kids And Counting

Joseph Duggar’s Legal Battles Keep Mounting

Joseph Duggar is fighting to see his kids, access his properties, and depose investigators — all while awaiting trial on child molestation charges.

Joseph Duggar No Contact Order Kids Property Investigators
Image: Us Magazine
  • Joseph Duggar, 31, pleaded not guilty to Florida child molestation charges and is fighting to amend his no-contact order to see his four biological children
  • A judge has also granted his legal team the right to depose investigators from child protection agencies and access evidence before trial
  • Duggar filed a separate motion asking to be allowed near properties he owns that fall within 500 feet of his alleged victim’s former home
  • He and wife Kendra Duggar are also facing separate Arkansas charges of child endangerment and false imprisonment, with an Aug. 10 court date
  • His pretrial hearing in the Florida case is set for July 14

Joseph Duggar is waging legal battles on multiple fronts — and they just keep multiplying. The former 19 Kids and Counting star, who was arrested in March on child molestation charges, has now filed to amend his no-contact order so he can see his own children, asked a judge for access to properties he owns near his alleged victim’s former home, and scored a court ruling allowing his defense team to question child protection investigators before his trial begins.

Duggar, 31, is facing two counts of lewd and lascivious behavior in Bay County, Florida — molestation of a victim less than 12 years old and lewd and lascivious behavior conducted by a person 18 years or older. The charges stem from allegations made by a now-14-year-old girl who told investigators that during a 2020 family vacation in Panama City Beach, Florida, Duggar repeatedly asked her to sit on his lap, covered them with a blanket on a couch, manipulated her underwear and grazed her genitals, and rubbed his hands on her thighs. She was 9 years old at the time. According to Bay County Sheriff’s Office records, the girl said Duggar eventually apologized and the incidents stopped after that apology — and that her father confronted Duggar directly, at which point Duggar admitted his actions to both the father and Tontitown detectives.

He has maintained his innocence. A not guilty plea was formally entered at his arraignment on May 18 — a hearing Duggar himself did not attend, having previously filed a motion waiving his right to appear. His attorney was present and entered the plea on his behalf. The hearing was brief, and his next court date is a pretrial hearing on July 14.

Fighting to See His Kids

When Duggar bonded out of Bay County Jail on March 31 — his bond set at $600,000 — the judge imposed two key conditions: no contact of any kind with his accuser, and no unsupervised contact with any minors under 18. A handwritten note on the court filing obtained by People underscored that final condition in no uncertain terms: “No unsupervised contact with any minors under 18.”

That order has effectively cut him off from his four children — son Garrett, 7, daughter Addison, 6, daughter Brooklyn, 4, and son Justus, who was born in 2022 and whose existence only became publicly known around the time of Duggar’s arrest. His attorney Albert J. Sauline III filed a motion on May 17 asking the court to carve out an exception for Duggar’s own biological kids.

“The alleged child victim in this matter is not a child of the Defendant,” the motion states, arguing that the current restrictions are “creating a hardship for the family unit, as the Defendant has been unable to communicate with his own biological children” since his first court appearance on March 31. The filing asks the judge to modify the order to allow “these family members to have peaceful contact.”

The situation is particularly striking when compared to his wife Kendra’s circumstances. Kendra Duggar, who is facing her own separate Arkansas charges, had her no-contact order lifted back in April — a judge signed off on dissolving it — and she has been allowed to see the children without supervision since then. Joseph, meanwhile, is still waiting for a ruling. The judge who originally set his conditions is no longer overseeing the proceedings, and the July 14 pretrial hearing is when the court is expected to hear arguments on the amendment request.

Us Weekly, which viewed the court records, confirmed the May 17 filing. A spokesperson for Joseph’s parents, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, said in a statement from late March that the family was “heartbroken” over the allegations and focused on “loving their family and helping Kendra and her children during this difficult time.” Kendra’s family released their own statement, calling the allegations “devastating” and saying they “stand by” the alleged victim “in support and prayer, and forever will.”

Deposing Investigators — and Accessing Properties

The children situation isn’t the only legal move Duggar’s team has been making. On May 19, court documents obtained by TMZ showed that a Florida judge ruled Duggar’s attorneys can depose witnesses tied to the child abuse investigation — including representatives from the Department of Children & Families, the Child Protection Team, and the Children’s Advocacy Center. Many of those records are typically shielded by confidentiality laws designed to protect children, but the judge ruled that any information connected to the investigation could be relevant to determining Duggar’s guilt or innocence, and that the defense is entitled to access it before trial.

The order also compels those agencies to turn over evidence the prosecution may use at trial — videos, audio recordings, reports, and physical evidence — for Duggar’s defense team to view, examine, and copy.

Then came a third filing. Court documents show Duggar asked a judge to let him visit and perform maintenance on a series of properties he owns — mowing, landscaping, painting, deck repair — that happen to fall within 500 feet of where his alleged victim’s family used to live. His argument: the family doesn’t live there anymore. He’s not asking to be near her. He just needs to check on his real estate.

The Arkansas Case — and the Bigger Picture

The Florida charges are only part of what the Duggar family is navigating right now. Joseph and Kendra are also facing separate charges in Arkansas — four counts of second-degree endangering the welfare of a minor and four counts of second-degree false imprisonment. Kendra was arrested in late March, shortly after Joseph’s initial arrest, and released from the Washington County Detention Center on $1,470 bond. Sources told Us Weekly that her arrest stemmed from a home study conducted after Joseph’s charges, during which investigators found rooms where the door locks were installed on the outside rather than the inside — which authorities interpreted as evidence of improper confinement of children.

Both Joseph and Kendra entered not guilty pleas to the Arkansas charges on April 28, with attorney Travis Story representing them in that case. They’re due back in Arkansas court on August 10.

The broader Duggar family context is impossible to ignore. 19 Kids and Counting was canceled by TLC in 2015 after it became public that Joseph’s older brother Josh Duggar had confessed to molesting four of his sisters and another girl as a teenager — though the statute of limitations had run out. The spinoff Counting On, which featured Kendra in 79 episodes, was canceled in 2021 after Josh was arrested on federal charges related to possession of child sexual abuse material. He was convicted in December 2021 and sentenced to 12½ years in federal prison in May 2022, with 20 years of supervised release to follow. He is currently appealing his conviction.

There’s also been fallout far beyond the courtrooms. Kendra’s family — the Caldwells — were reportedly forced to move out of their home following Joseph’s arrest, a consequence of their decision to cooperate with investigators. Her father, Paul Caldwell, launched a GoFundMe in early April to help with the transition, and addressed the situation directly on the fundraiser page: “We are willing to stand for the protection of the weak and vulnerable in society. Because of that stand, we have been put in a situation that has [caused] the [loss] of our current housing situation and employment.” He was explicit that the funds were not intended to benefit anyone facing criminal charges.

Joseph Duggar’s next court appearance is July 14. That’s when the arguments over whether he can see his children will be heard — and when the shape of what’s coming at trial may start to become clearer.

Comments

0
Be civil. Be specific.